From the mid-19th century until 1950, Kavala was the largest centre for the processing and exporting of tobacco in the Balkans. European trading houses and consulates would open in the town. This was the period of its greatest prosperity, with a brilliant bourgeoisie that was in continuous contact with Europe and which bequeathed a cosmopolitan atmosphere to the town.
At the same time, jobs were created for thousands of tobacco workers, while brokers, tobacco experts and shipping agencies, as well as the merchants and other professionals comprised the middle class. In the early 20th century the town had 150 tailors, ten luxury cinema theatres, nightclubs, coffee houses, restaurants and patisseries. The ruling class had a tennis club, the nightlife programme even included Parisian ballets, while at the Great Club (Megali Leschi) of the town dances and joyful masked balls were held.
Evidence for this period are the impressive residences of the big tobacco merchants and the warehouses that survive in the centre of the town.
The Municipal Warehouse is one of the most interesting in Kavala. It housed the company of Kiazim Emin &...Learn more
This three-storey building complex, with a closed arrangement centred around an internal courtyard, is comprised of four wings with...Learn more
This three-storey tobacco warehouse, which is located behind the old aqueduct (Kamares), was the property of Mpasterli Kioli Hodja.Learn more
This two-storey tobacco warehouse, which is located behind the old aqueduct of Kavala (Kamares), had been the property of...Learn more
The brothers Morris and Solomon Schinasi established their company in Kavala in 1905 and built the tobacco warehouses in...Learn more
The HERZOG tobacco company used a large number of tobacco warehouses along Damianou, Ethnarchi Makariou and Nikis Streets.Learn more
The Central Service of the National Tobacco Organisation was located in Athens and had four regional offices: in Kavala,...Learn more
Aaron Jacob Tsimino, whose initials can be seen on the pediment of the tobacco warehouse at 20 Nuremberg Street,...Learn more
This section of the three-storey tobacco warehouse was the property of Topal Mehmet Efendi.Learn more