Former Courthouse

FORMER COURTHOUSE

Home / Explore / Buildings with a history / Former Courthouse

Former Courthouse

Photo by Achileas Savvopoulos

The building of the Former Courthouse of Kavala is an integral part of the town’s history. It is connected to the liberation of the town in 1913, and in the century that followed it was the symbol of the meting out of justice. This is where, for the first time after centuries of slavery (from 1391), the Greek flag was flown on 26 June 1913. It was also from this building that the incorporation of Kavala into the national body was declared. The building had been used for the Ottoman administration of Kavala. It was built in 1896 by the Chiot Kaimakam Emin Pasha with “voluntary contributions” from the wealthy Kavaliots of the day.

Useful information

Address

6 Gallikis Dimokratias
65201 Kavala

HOW TO GET HERE

Enter your address

SEE ALSO

City Hall of Kavala - Photo by Giannis Giannelos
Town Hall

The building in which the Municipality of Kavala is housed today is one of the most impressive buildings in...

Learn more
The Great Clubhouse - Photo by Iraklis Milas
Megali Leschi (Great Club)

This was founded in 1910 by the Philoptochos Adelfotis Kyrion Kavalas (a women’s charity for the poor) in order...

Learn more
1st High School of Kavala - Photo by Achileas Savvopoulos
Former Boys School – 1st Junior High School

This is one of the three grand Turkish buildings that were erected in the twenty years from 1890-1910, during...

Learn more
Tokos Building - Photo by Achileas Savvopoulos
Tokos Building

The Tokos Building was built by the tobacco merchant Dimitrios Tokos as his residence in 1879, as can be...

Learn more
Wix Building

This was built in 1906 by the German Baron Adolf Wix as a miniature Hungarian tower, and was used...

Learn more
The Lazarist Monastery - Photo by Achileas Savvopoulos
The Lazarist Monastery

The Catholic Monastery of St Paul in Kavala, otherwise known as the Lazarist Monastery of St Vincent de Paul...

Learn more
Former Girls School - 10th Primary School of Kavala Photo by Achileas Savvopoulos
Former Girls School of Kavala

This is located further up from the Megali Leschi. Its foundations were laid in May 1891 and it was...

Learn more
Palia Merarchia (Old Division) of Kavala - Photo by Giannis Giannelos
Palia Merarchia (Old Division)

This is one of the finest buildings of Kavala. It was built in the first decade of the 20th...

Learn more
Municipal conservatory of Kavala at night - Photo by Achileas Savvopoulos
Municipal Conservatory of Kavala

The Municipal Conservatory of Kavala is the building with the most obvious neoclassical features (pediments, pilasters, window frames with...

Learn more
Skip to content