The Tokos Building was built by the tobacco merchant Dimitrios Tokos as his residence in 1879, as can be seen from the inscription above the lintel. The building housed the Italian Consulate for a brief period (1879-1880), and then the first High School of the Greek Orthodox Community. After it was sold in 1911, it housed the Greek Vice Consulate until the liberation of Kavala from the Bulgarians in 1913, when it was used as the Town Hall until 1937 and subsequently, after the Second World War, for the private Papasideri Gymnasium School. From the terrace of the building numerous political leaders have given their political speeches, such as Eleftherios Venizelos, who visited Kavala in 1929. In 1979 it was purchased by the Ministry of Culture, to be restored and to house the newly-established Kavala-Thassos Ephorate of Antiquities.
The Tokos Building is an example of Ottoman neoclassicism and baroque, with distinct echoes of the Romantic and eclectic movements in architecture, which were the major trends in Europe in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. A noteworthy decorative feature is the curved gable of its roof.
Today it continues to house the services of the Kavala-Thassos Ephorate of Antiquities.