Mohammed Ali’s Residence

MOHAMMED ALI’S RESIDENCE

Home / Explore / Old Town monuments / Mohammed Ali’s Residence

Mohammed Ali’s Residence

Photo by Iraklis Milas

In the Square named for Mohammed Ali (1769-1849), which is located in the Panagia peninsula, in the Old Town of Kavala, his residence and statue can be found. The statue is by the famous sculptor Konstantinos Dimitriadis. It was created in Paris and depicts Mohammed Ali, the general and founder of the Egyptian dynasty, with his sword in its sheath since, according to tradition, he was returning home to rest. There is a similar sculpture in Egypt, which shows him on horseback but holding his sword up high, in an expression of glory.

Mohammed Ali’s Residence is considered one of the most characteristic surviving examples of 18th-century Ottoman architecture in Greece. In its south section is the selamlik, containing the men’s quarters, where the men spent their days and worked, the pasha’s private room, and the reception areas for guests. In the north section is the harem, where the women’s quarters are located, the bath (hamam) and the “sofa”. The fitted wooden cupboards and fireplaces are particularly interesting decorative features.

Useful information

Address

Mohammed Ali Square
65110 Kavala

Telephone

+30 2510 620151

HOW TO GET HERE

Enter your address

SEE ALSO

The Old Aqueduct Kamares - Photo by Giannis Giannelos
Kamares – Aqueduct

The most characteristic monument of Kavala is the large, arched aqueduct, known by the name “Kamares” (Arches), with a...

Learn more
Imaret - Photo from Imaret's archive
Imaret

In the early 19th century Mohammed Ali, founder of the final Egyptian dynasty, established an Imaret – a religious,...

Learn more
The Old Music ( Halil Bey Mosque ) - Photo by Giannis Giannelos
Halil Bey Mosque (Palia Mousiki)

The Halil Bey Mosque is located at the centre of the peninsula, near the Castle and on roads that...

Learn more
City wall - Photo by Artware
Coastal wall

Its strong walls of the Thassian colony were most likely built in the early 7th century BC.

Learn more
Skip to content