The building, which was constructed approximately between 1780 and 1790, covers an area of 330 sq. m and was the largest house in the town of Kavala in that period and is considered one of the finest surviving examples of 18th-century Ottoman architecture in Greece. Repairs and reconstruction work to the original building, garden and surrounding areas were carried out in the late 19th century, with funding from the state of Egypt and with the support of the Egyptian royal family.
The house was arranged according to the principle of dividing the space into men’s and women’s quarters. In the south part was the “selamlik”, which includes the areas where the men would spend the day and work as well as receive their visitors. In the north part was the “haremlik”, which contained the women’s spaces, for serving daily housekeeping needs and, at the same time, the most private spaces within the whole family.
Its location gives it a panoramic view on all sides. From its entrance one can see the port of Kavala and, from the other side, a beautiful gulf.