Port Authority

PORT AUTHORITY

Port Authority

Former Port Authority building - Photo by Achileas Savvopoulos

Photo by Achileas Savvopoulos

The foundations of the Port Authority building were laid down in 1926. Three years later, in 1929, Eleftherios Venizelos officially opened the new port. Until 1992, the ground floor also housed the fish market (Palia Psaradika) of Kavala, which contained 24 fishmongers. The offices of the Port Commission were housed in the building until 1970, when they were transferred to a new, privately-owned building. Since 1997, the building has housed small tourist shops, as well as a cafe and restaurant.

Useful information

Address

Port of Kavala
2 Erythrou Stavrou St
65403 Kavala

HOW TO GET HERE

Enter your address

SEE ALSO

City Hall of Kavala - Photo by Giannis Giannelos
Town Hall

The building in which the Municipality of Kavala is housed today is one of the most impressive buildings in...

Learn more
The Great Clubhouse - Photo by Iraklis Milas
Megali Leschi (Great Club)

This was founded in 1910 by the Philoptochos Adelfotis Kyrion Kavalas (a women’s charity for the poor) in order...

Learn more
1st High School of Kavala - Photo by Achileas Savvopoulos
Former Boys School – 1st Junior High School

This is one of the three grand Turkish buildings that were erected in the twenty years from 1890-1910, during...

Learn more
Tokos Building - Photo by Achileas Savvopoulos
Tokos Building

The Tokos Building was built by the tobacco merchant Dimitrios Tokos as his residence in 1879, as can be...

Learn more
Skip to content